Construction continues on the new Birch Creek Elementary School in McDonough. Take a look at the latest update as of July 2023. The project is Henry County Schools’ first new elementary school in 15 years.
Birch Creek Elementary is located off Willow Lane, not far from I-75 at Jonesboro Road. The school will open for students in August 2024.
All photos courtesy of MEJA Construction and Henry County Schools.
Birch Creek Elementary Construction Update July 2023
As of July 2023, here are some construction updates:
- Grading of front entrance parking lot and bus loop has begun.
- Installation of retaining walls, bridge, and storm drainage nearing completion.
- Mezzanine pour has been completed for Sector 1 (1st & 2nd grade hallway), Sector 2 (4th & 5th grade hallway), Sector 3 (Admin & Media Center), and Sector 6 (Kindergarten).
- Sector 1 (1st and 2nd grade hallway) masonry activities continue; to include exterior brick placement.
- Sector 1 steel erection activities nearing completion; to include structural steel, joists, and metal decking.
- Sector 1 metal roof panel installation and fireproofing activities have begun.
- Sector 2 (4th and 5th grade hallway) masonry activities continue; to include exterior brick placement.
- Sector 2 steel erection activities have begun; to include structural steel, joists, and metal decking.
- Sector 3 (Admin & Media Center) masonry activities ongoing; to include plumbing and electrical wall rough-in.
- Footing work for sector 5 (3rd grade hallway) nearing completion.
MEJA Construction, Inc. of Peachtree City, GA is building the new school. The contract cost equals $34.8 million. Substantial completion is expected in May 2024.
Education SPLOST VI is paying for the project. For a complete look at the upcoming new classroom projects, take a look at our April 2023 article. The district will add classroom space for 5,000 more students by 2028.