Election season is quickly underway in Henry County. A little more than 1,000 residents cast their ballots during the first week of early voting for the November 2021 election. On the ballot is transportation SPLOST, mayor and city council elections.
Early Voting 2021
Early voting continues this week, October 18â€“22, from 7 am to 7 pm. Residents may vote at four locations:
- Henry County Elections Office, McDonough
- Merle Manders Conference Center, Stockbridge
- Fortson Library, Hampton
- Locust Grove Library
Early voting will also occur on Saturday, October 23, during 9 am to 5 pm at the same locations. Finally, the last week of early voting will be October 25â€“29. Election Day is November 2, 2021.
Residents countywide have a ballot question whether to approve transportation SPLOST. The referendum proposes new funding for major road projects through local sales tax collections.
If the ballot question passes, then seven major projects will receive a share of county funding. They include the following:
- State Route 81 widening (phase I), Postmaster Drive to Bethany Road â€” $28 million
- Bill Gardner Parkway widening, I-75 to SR 155 â€” $34 million
- Jonesboro Road widening, Mill Road to N Mt. Carmel Road â€” $35 million
- Mill Road widening, Jonesboro Road to Flea Market â€” $5 million
- McDonough Parkway extension, SR 42 to SR 155 â€” $14 million
- Rock Quarry Road widening, Hospital Drive to SR 138 â€” $27 million
- Fairview Road widening, Hearn Road to SR 155 â€” $12 million
The major projects total $165 million in funds. Another ten million would be divided by commission district for use on resurfacing, intersections or sidewalks.
Mayor & City Council
City residents in Hampton, McDonough and Stockbridge have a mayor and council election. City residents can visit here to find out their candidates.
Featured image shows a four-lane road in Georgia with custom road sign overlay. Photo credit Georgia DOT and Sign Maker by Brendon Strowe.
Support Moving Henry Forward
If you appreciate my work on this article, please consider supporting the site. For as little as $3 a month, you can help me keep you in the loop about our community. To become a supporter, click here.
Sign up for my e-mail newsletter. The newsletter is a great way to stay connected with Moving Henry Forward.