The Henry County Master Transit Plan continues to make progress. Most recently, the county commissioners heard an update on the plan’s potential projects. At this time, the plan has laid out seventeen possible local bus routes. In addition, the transit plan is evaluating other options such as park and ride lots or regional bus service.
The transit master plan kicked off in fall 2020. The consultant team, led by VHB Inc., is on schedule to make their final recommendations in November 2021.
Before exploring the possible local bus routes, its important to acknowledge the plan is not recommending these routes go into effect now. Rather, the plan will provide a thirty-year timeline to implement transit projects within Henry County. The master plan will group recommendations into the following date ranges:
- Short-term (18 months)
- Mid-term (2–5 years)
- Long-term (6–30 years)
- Aspirational (more than 30 years)
Local Bus Routes
The seventeen route options seek to serve local destinations as well as some regional destinations. A few routes explore possible connections with neighboring counties. In addition, the project team gathered public feedback where residents would like to see transit go. The routes include the following:
- Fairview Pilot Route (in operation since 2018)
- SR 42 N – McDonough to SR 138
- McDonough to Stockbridge loop
- SR 81 East (Ola) to McDonough loop
- State Route 81 West – McDonough loop to Hampton loop
- SR 42 South – McDonough to Locust Grove
- SR 20 – McDonough loop to Hampton loop
- Jonesboro Road – McDonough to Lovejoy
- Hampton-Locust Grove Road – Locust Grove to Hampton
- Rock Quarry Road / East Atlanta Road – Stockbridge to DeKalb County (connection with MARTA bus route 15)
- US 19 / 41 – Hampton loop to Lovejoy
- State Route 155 North – McDonough to Panola Park & Ride
- SR 155 South – McDonough to Spalding County
- SR 138 – Stockbridge to SR 155
- Rock Quarry Road / East Atlanta Road – Stockbridge to South DeKalb Mobility Hub
- SR 42 / 138 – McDonough to Southlake Mall
- Patrick Henry Pkwy / Jonesboro Road – McDonough loop to SR 138
Maps of each possible route are available on the county website. Other possible projects, such as regional bus service, are included within the same presentation. For updates on the transit master plan, visit the transportation planning department under “Transit Planning.”
Featured image shows possible local bus routes in Henry County. Photo credit Henry County.
Support Local Journalism
Subscribe to MHF News and support local journalism in the Henry County community.
You will receive access to all of our news articles.