The Henry County zoning advisory board meets on Thursday, March 11, at 6:30 pm. The meeting will be virtual.
The board has four agenda items to consider:
- Variance request for 1.64 +/- acres on Cotton Indian Creek Road. Request is to reduce the front yard setback. District 4
- Variance request for 21.36 +/- acres on Campground Road. Request is to reduce the number of required access points. District 4
- Rezoning request for 89.01 +/- acres at 1496 Millers Mill Road. Request is to rezone the property from RA (residential agricultural) to R-3 (single-family residential). District 4
- Rezoning request for 18.189 +/- acres at 156 Foster Drive. Request is to rezone the property from C-2 (general commercial) and M-1 (light manufacturing) to MU (mixed use). District 3
The variance request on Campground Road is off the new roadway. The twenty-one acre property was rezoned as part of the original Eagleâ€™s Landing planned development. Later, in 2003, the board of commissioners approved a master plan for the property. The location has approval to build up to 74 lots.
1496 Millerâ€™s Mill Road
The rezoning request off Millers Mill Road is a new request, but on a previously discussed property. The applicant, General Holdings Unlimited, LLC of Monroe, GA, originally submitted a rezoning request in summer 2019 before withdrawing it one year later. The board of commissioners never heard the request, but the zoning advisory board approved a conditional use permit (C.U.P) for a conservation subdivision. The ZAB also recommended zoning conditions in January 2020.
The C.U.P. allows the developer to build smaller lot sizes â€” as small as 10,890 square feet (one quarter-acre). In exchange, they must set aside at least forty percent of the property as open space. Otherwise, the minimum lot size in R-3 is 18,000 square feet.
The applicant is requesting a rezoning from RA (residential agricultural) to R-3 (single-family residential). They are proposing 144 lots.
156 Foster Drive
Arlington Properties of Birmingham, AL is requesting a rezoning to build apartments off Foster Drive. The subject property is behind (north of) the new Resurgens Orthopedics and QuikTrip service station.
The applicant requested MU (mixed use) zoning for 260 apartment units and 5,000 square feet of commercial space. The commercial space would be on the ground floor of the main building.
The 260 units include the following:
- 90 one-bedroom units (35%)
- 130 two-bedroom units (50%)
- 40 three-bedroom units (15%)
Other new apartment complexes limit three-bedroom units to five percent. If the BOC approves the request, then they can limit the percentage of three-bedroom units through zoning conditions.
Featured image shows concept site plan for Foster Drive apartments, with additional text and logos of surrounding businesses. Credit to Arlington Properties.